Wednesday, March 12, 2014

So delicious Plain Coconut Milk Greek Yogurt




The first product I want to review is So Delicious Greek Yogurt Cultured Coconut Milk.  I never liked yogurt growing up, and I never even had greek yogurt in my life.  I've been wanting to up my probiotics and thought it'd be easy to do that with yogurt.  The various So Delicious yogurts comes in various flavors and with those flavors comes a lot of sugar, which I'm trying to avoid.  The plain greek style almond milk and the the plain greek style coconut milk both have 7g of sugar which is less than the flavors (which have 10g and above, the raspberry has 20g! yikes).  I tried the almond milk greek plain yogurt last week and thought it was disgusting.  I decided to try the plain coconut one, and I actually liked it a lot! The texture reminded me of pudding.  It's smooth, thick and creamy. I thought it was tasty, but I decided to add some blueberries which definitely made it even better.

Now, unfortunately whereas regular dairy greek yogurt has about 12g of protein (hence why all the fitness people recommend it), this unfortunately has a measly 2g of protein! so sad.

Good points other than this being a probiotic is that it also has B12 and Vitamin D2! Also has 9g of fiber. I'll definitely keep this in my rotation of healthy snacks to have.

Can someone out there make a vegan yogurt that's low in sugar and has lots of protein?  It'd be such a perfect after workout snack!


11 comments:

  1. Ariela,

    Great post and review! I’m not a huge yogurt fan myself, but I do enjoy plain yogurt from time to time with granola and/or fresh fruit. My favorite yogurt pick is Wildwood unsweetened plain soy yogurt. I know it’s soy, which you also try to avoid, but if ever you’re in the mood, it’s good and has almost no sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have never seen wildwood anywhere and I actually just googled it and they seem to have discontinued their yogurt line:(

      Delete
  2. I tried that Greek almond milk yogurt too and had to spit it out! It tasted spoiled to me; maybe I just don't get Greek yogurt. Extra credit to you for having the guts to try the coconut one b/c I don't think I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful right?! It didn't taste spoiled to me but doesn't real yogurt taste sour?That's why I never liked it. Try the coconut! I'm curious what you'd think! It really tasted like pudding to me. It was 10xs better than the almond.

      Delete
    2. I haven't ever tasted non-vegan Greek yogurt; did that even exist before we were vegan?

      Delete
    3. I don't think so..I asked my mom and she said it's just become popular the past few years ago..I asked if it existed 15 years ago she said not that she knew of

      Delete
  3. Whole Soy is finally coming back with their yogurt after being gone forever (they had to re-do their entire plant because of cross contamination I think). I know you avoid soy but that's the best I've found. http://www.wholesoyco.com/ I thought the almond milk kind was disgusting too. After two bites I threw it away. I think the coconut milk one would be too sweet. I like it being a little sour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love the Whole Soy vanilla (which now i see has 23g of sugar haha) is the plain unsweetened good? it actually has a good amount of protein too! Is it sour? I don't like sour, which is why I never liked real yogurt haha but I guess I can always add berries to it..maybe i'll test it on my stomach when it comes back on the shelves! I forced myself to eat the whole almond milk one since it wasn't cheap. Try the coconut! I don't think it's too sweet. I just checked out their website and saw they have coconut greek yogurt that's unsweetened but I've never seen it anywhere.

      Delete
    2. I don't like it sweet, and the coconut milk ones are more expensive than what I want to spend. I rarely buy yogurt anyway. I like the Whole Soy plain one the best and it's really good with fresh fruit mixed in (like strawberries)! I add buckwheat too for crunch!

      Delete
    3. yum! that sounds good! I'll check it out when it's back on the shelves :)

      Delete