Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ch Ch Ch Chia!

Chia Seeds! I love chia seeds. For those who don't know, chia seeds are a superfood.  They have more calcium than a glass of milk, more omega 3's than salmon and more antioxidants than blueberries! You can add them to your smoothie, salad, cereal or anywhere really!

From the Health Warrior website they recommend having 2 tablespoons of chia seeds a day, by doing so you get:

"6000mg Omega-3′s (200% of the World Health Organization’s recommended daily amount)
40% of the daily recommended amount of fiber
More antioxidants (more than blueberries) than almost any other whole food
8 mg of iron (more than spinach)
350 mg of calcium (more than milk)
190 mg of magnesium (pounds and pounds of broccoli)"

About 2 years ago I discovered Chia Seed Acai Berry Bars at a nearby health food store.  I liked them so much that I had the store order me a case of them. Don't worry, I didn't eat them all in a day! :) They're such a great healthy little snack consisting of only 100 calories, and 5g of sugar.

Over the past few months I've noticed more and more flavors come out so I decided to buy them all to try them.


All of them have 100 calories, except for the coconut which has 110.  Half have 4g of sugar and half have 5g.  All have 3g of protein, other than the Chocolate Peanut Butter which has 4g.

Coffee-This flavor tastes just like actual unsweetened coffee.  I like coffee ice cream, but I'm not a fan of actual coffee so I wasn't a fan.

Chocolate Peanut Butter-I usually love anything that's chocolate peanut butter but, this, I was disappointed in. Just didn't really have a choc pb taste to me.  Maybe there wasn't enough peanut butter? Not sure really but wasn't a fan.

Apple Cinnamon-This one smelled good! As soon as I opened it, I noticed how good it smelled, but sadly I wasn't a fan of this one either.  I couldn't taste the cinnamon, it just tasted like apple to me.

Banana Nut-This one is AMAZING! It tastes just like banana nut bread! It is SO good!!

Coconut-Tasted just like coconut,  very tasty

& as I stated before the Acai Berry is great. My dad said it tasted like raspberry to him.

While, I didn't love many of the flavors, the ones I do, I really loved. I recommend trying them, especially because they are healthy and not too sweet! I love the texture, and yes they can sometimes get stuck in your teeth, but they easily come out.






3 comments:

  1. they never came out of my teeth easily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made some bars with chia, hemp hearts, and sesame seeds. They were so good!! I'm experimenting with adding coconut in the mix today. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo yum! that sounds good! i love hemp hearts! i eat them every day. I'd love to try your bars one day! :) or have the recipe :) either one haha

      Delete