Friday, March 14, 2014

Quinoa Burgers


Originally I was going to just post a review of one quinoa burger I recently got into, but then I saw another quinoa burger in Westerly (health food store) that I had never seen so decided to buy it to give it a try & to compare.


I have recently gotten into these sweet potato quinoa chia burgers.  They are tasty and healthy! I am not too familiar with vegan burgers in general since I used to not like them, but my parents also tried these and they said in comparison to other burgers, the texture was very soft.  I like these a lot, my only problem is when I buy them I wind up eating all 4 in one seating, they're light though, so it doesn't feel like a lot/doesn't make you feel like you ate too much, but health wise eating 4 is quite high in sodium, making it 1,120mg of sodium in one meal! That's pretty bad..The American Heart Association recommends that people don't exceed 1,500mg of sodium a day (& cutting sodium to 1,200 mg per day is even further recommended to avoid health issues later in life).  Other than that they are quite healthy, though high in carbs (if you eat 4!) so I'd advise not being like me and only eating 2 at a meal!  They are quick and easy to make and to me they are tasty and I just eat them plain! (with veggies on the side)



I then saw this product a few days ago and decided to give it a try.  I checked the directions on how to make them and it said to put them in a toaster! That was definitely a first.  They are already cooked, so they recommend putting it through the toaster a few times (you can also use the toaster oven or oven but the first recommendation was a toaster)  Very unexpected. After about 5 minutes, maybe even slightly more, they popped out and were already browning and felt crisp, so they definitely didn't need to be put in a second time.   Now I know why this brand is called Qrunch,  this burger was definitely very crunchy!! I like crunchy things so I was a fan of the texture. (Definitely the opposite texture of the Sol Burger) There wasn't much flavor though.  I wound up eating it with tahini sauce.  I'll eat the other 2 but won't buy this one again, but they do have other flavors (spicy italian, green chile and a curry one) that I plan to try to see if the others have more flavor. These are also definitely heavier than the others, I definitely couldn't have eaten all 4 at one meal! These are sugar free and have more than 100mg less of sodium than the Sol burger, but they have more fat.

Here's a nutritional comparison (Sol Cuisine on the left & Qrunch on the right)



7 comments:

  1. The thought of you eating four burgers really makes me laugh. You have to try the southwest Sunshine burgers; they're my fave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah :D I just bought the garden herb sunshine burgers, have you had those? I haven't had them yet. I'll check out the southwest ones!

      Delete
    2. I think I've had all the original flavors (so that doesn't include the Loco Chipotle yet), but southwest is definitely my fave.

      Delete
  2. How much do these cost? I normally don't buy burgers very often just because they disappear quickly and can cost more than I want to spend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burgers on the left are 52% calories from fat and the ones on the right are 33%... and you are worried about the carbs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where do you see those percents? i see 40% on the left and 100% on the right..it is a lot of fat..but I'm trying to avoid carbs for a specific reason

      Delete
    2. 40 of the 120 calories is from fat which is 33% and 100 of the 190 calories is from fat which is 52% (or 52.63 which is closer to 53%). Math :)

      Delete