Thursday, May 22, 2014

Vegan Protein Shakes

I recently found out about the vegan protein shakes, Svelte. They have apparently been around since 2009, but I am only now seeing them. They are soy based so I was a bit apprehensive about trying it (my body doesn't always like soy!), but I decided to give it a try.



They have 5 flavors: French Vanilla, Spiced Chai, Chocolate, Cappuccino and the new Banana Creme.  I'm not into coffee so I don't really have any interest in trying the Cappuccino, but I have become in love with the Spiced Chai and the French Vanilla! & best of all, my body seems totally fine with it! yay!  The chocolate tastes just like chocolate milk.  I'm not drawn to really drink chocolate milk often & it's heavy, so I've only had this one once.  I  wasn't a fan of the banana creme (they're the only protein shake on the market that uses real bananas, according to their website). I think this is a personal preference though, and not something wrong with this flavor.  The vanilla though is SO good, it is so creamy, really just love the taste. Love the spiced chai as well, the spices are perfect.  It is how I always want chai to be. I just bought a 6 pack in Vitamin Shoppe (they were on sale, a 6 pack for $9.99! They always have coupons on their site & if you buy them at Westerly in NY they come with a $1.00 off coupon on the container) All of the flavors are smooth and creamy. I've been having them on my busy days in between meals and they help keep me full until the next meal. I recently had one for breakfast with my oatmeal and it kept me full for a long time! I haven't tried to use them as a full meal replacement or after a workout but I'm sure I will drink them that way at some point.

All their products are 260 calories, 11g of protein and only 6g of sugar.  There is also B12 and Vitamin D in it, as well as calcium.

Interestingly, while looking for Svelte one day in Whole Foods, I discovered new vegan protein shakes by Orgain.  Orgain has been around since 2008 and until very recently, have only had dairy protein shakes.  They have now come out with 2 vegan protein shakes.  These are brand new!


I was pretty excited to try these .  Not only are there 16g of protein, but the protein comes from brown rice, hemp, chia seeds, and flax seeds  (on the back it says there is also pea protein but that wasn't listed in the ingredients..)  They also have fewer calories: 220,  and less fat.  (Slightly more sugar, 9g &slightly less calcium, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D)  I was also excited about them because they both have 10 certified organic fruits and veggies (kale, beets, spinach, carrots, tomato, blueberries, banana, acai, apple and raspberry.) As well as 21 vitamins and minerals! Sounds pretty awesome, right?

However...the taste...not so great.  I'm not really sure what these tasted like...the vanilla bean had no vanilla flavor and actually there is no vanilla listed in the ingredients list, so that is a bit strange. I am a bit puzzled by that fact. I keep re-reading the ingredients to see if I somehow missed "vanilla" as an ingredient, but nope, no vanilla in the vanilla bean.  I really can't describe what the taste was like, there was no recognizable flavor, it was just strange.  The chocolate you could taste the chocolate so it was better than the vanilla, but still had an odd taste.   The consistency is not as creamy as Svelte, whereas Svelte reminds me of a shake, Orgain is a lot thinner.

What's better though?  Taste or ingredient list?  I have been drinking a lot of Svelte, but am thinking maybe I should try Orgain again because I'm a bigger fan of what's inside them.  I also did read that if you put them in the freezer and drink them ice cold they are apparently a lot better...

Interested in hearing other people's reviews of these products!

No comments:

Post a Comment